As a system of thought, XP is built on 3 tenets:
1. change is inevitable
2. change is essential
3. change cannot be predicted
Everything in XP is built around this core philosophy: accepting that we must embrace change, how can we minimise the cost of change (remember the much maligned "cost of change" curve?). The values are nothing other than general mechanisms for helping us deal with change:
* Why do we value feedback? Because feedback tells us whether or not we need to change and whether or not the change is working.
* Why do we value communication? Because communication ensures that we all know what is changing and helps us identify what to change.
* Why do we value simplicity? Because simpler things are easier to change than complex things.
* Why do we value courage? Because change always requires courage.
Inspiration: Owen Rogers